Friday, October 11, 2013

Austin City Limits Superlatives



Best "New to Me" Band(s)--Grouplove, the Mogwli's
These two band were so high energy and crazy. The Mogwli's were like a shot of B12 in concert form. So happy. So full of energy and enthusiasm. It was contagious.
Grouplove was just crazy and fun. The audience was eating it up and their lady singer was rocking a leopard print unitard as well as anyone ever could.


Best Walk-By--Vampire Weekend/Artic Monkeys
We didn't get to see much of either group, but we liked what we heard when we strolled by!


Band That Should Have Been Given a Bigger Stage: Phoenix
We couldn't even get close. It was INSANELY packed for their show.


Band That My Dad Would Like (that's a compliment): Dawes
They were like old time rock n' roll. They had elements of Rush and Kansas and a great, experienced sound.


Most "Its probably better on headphones"--The National
I have no doubt they're great. I've heard great things...but their mid-afternoon concert lacked energy and I'm not sure their style of music translated well into the outdoor festival setting. They're getting a lot of Pandora time from me right now, though!


Most "I didn't love the album but I loved the show"--Fun.
I'm not Fun.'s biggest fan. I liked Nate Reuss' older band, The Format, more but there is no question that they put on a good show. "Some Nights" sounded surprisingly awesome live and Nate has an great operatic quality to his voice that shines in person. Plus, his dance moves are about as good as mine.


Band with the Most Songs I Knew--Jimmy Eat World
We were late to their set, but I still got to hear "Praise Chorus", so I was happy!


Band I Forgot I Liked Until They Reminded Me (PLUS Bonus Second Viewing Award)--Franz
Ferdinand
You guys, "Take Me Out" really stands the test of time. Its still a great song. Plus, "This Fire" is an amazing song to sing along to. Its so angry!


Best Stadium-Type Show--Muse
What can I say? Either you love Muse or you don't. They can be kind of nuts and their lyrics occasionally sound like they're ripped from the pages of an insane conspiracy theorist, but man, they sound great live. Their show ran over and the plug was pulled at 10:00pm on the dot right in the middle of a song (I can't remember what...Natural Selection, maybe?) and the crowd was NOT HAPPY. Luckily for those of us who stuck around, they played one last song in the end and it was completely worth the wait. Because THEY WILL NOT CONTROL US!

Best Audience/Performer Relationship--Lionel Richie
He looked good. He sounded great. He had the audience eating out of his hand. Atoms for Peace were playing their show at the other end of the park and were SO LOUD Lionel was confused and asked what the "noise" was that was coming through his monitors. "Is that God?" he asked? No, Lionel. It was just an obnoxious supergroup with no respect for your greatness.
Hilights included
-his comedy routine about going through the stages of a break up and always turning to the true source of comfort and happiness: crappy wine and LIONEL RICHIE (on cassette tape, CD or 8 track).
-a 10 minute jam session version of Brick House
-Endless Love with the audience singing the Dianna Ross part
-"Hello...is it me your looking for" and the most epic audience sing along I've ever participated in

ACL was a great experience over all. The people were friendly and considerate. The bands seemed genuinely happy to be there. They sold wine in WATERBOTTLES! I'm a believer. Hopefully I'll be back next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment