Wednesday, October 2, 2013

What I Cooked This Week (9/23-9/29)


Pesto Peas & Pasta: I used the last of the basil Beth & Marcus gave me to make this pesto. I don't make a lot of pasta at home because I HATE cooking pasta. Isn't that stupid? I think its because pasta doesn't need my help. You just have to wait. And be patient. I'm not good at those things. I need my food to NEED me back, you know? Maybe I've said too much. 

 It was delicious. The end. 
Fall Salad
I needed to eat something I felt was healthy, so I tossed up this salad. There's some goat cheese, walnuts, avocado, tomato, grilled chicken, Honey Crisp Apples and a homemade dressing with dijon mustard and maple syrup. It was so good it almost made me forget I was eating a salad. Probably because of the bacon. Did I mention there was bacon? 
Whipped Feta on Baguette with Roasted Tomatoes:
I've been seeing this recipe for whipped feta around on the internet lately and decided to finally give it a try. Its basically like the tastiest cream cheese you've ever eaten. Its super salty, like feta, but completely smooth. It would be great on pretty much anything. Bagels. Pizza. Mixed into tomato sauce for pasta...I bet it would even be good with a drizzle of honey on toast. I'm definitely making it again. 
Eggs in a Basket: 
My dad used to make it for me when I was a kid and I crave it every now and then. This is probably my most successful attempt at it because I made it using the griddle plates on my panini press, which, unlike my stove, is an actual flat surface. Delicious childhood memories, right there :)


Brown Sugar Pulled Pork
Since its chilly and fall like now, I feel justified in busting out the crock pot. This recipe worked like a dream. Completely easy, not too many ingredients, could feed an army and most importantly, makes your house smell amazing. The key is the roasted garlic. Don't skimp on the roasted garlic! 

Raspberry Galette: 
This is my third time making this crust, but in the past I've used strawberries. The grocery store didn't have any decent strawberries this week, but I think I might actually like the raspberry version better. I can't wait to try with blueberries at some point in the future. Mmmmm sweet sweet pastries.












Grilled Brats and homemade potato chips: 
Chris bought a deep fryer at the church rummage sale and has been desperate to fry me something. These chips were hand cut (poorly...I need a mandolin really bad) and then sprinkled with Lowry's seasoned salt. They were an excellent salty companion to the brats I grilled up on the panini press. Plus, look how proud he is in his penguin shirt. He cracks me up. 

Apple Cinnamon Pull Apart Bread:
I know Pull Apart Breads are soooo last year, but I never got the chance to make one and this one seemed really easy. It reminds me a lot of the monkey bread my mom used to make when we were kids. Pilsbury Biscuit Dough dredged in cinnamon, sugar and nutmeg and then layered up with apple slices that are dredged in the same all baked up into a loaf of gooey goodness and then drizzled with frosting. What more could you ask for in a fall snack? Not much else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment