Friday, October 11, 2013

What I Ate in Austin

Man, oh man. I did some eating while I was in Texas.

Sadly I didn't get back to my favorite breakfast food truck, Biscuits and Groovy this year, but there was plenty of goodness to go around!

Coffffffeeeeee:
I bought Jenna this mug as a housewarming present when she moved to Austin last fall. I feel entitled to call digs on it whenever I'm in town :). Plus, the coaster was made by our friend Erika!




Torchy's Tacos:
Last time I was in Austin I did have tacos, but they were like...Hawaiian themed or something. This time I wanted the real deal so we hit Torchy's Tacos. I got the Green Chili Pork and the Fried Avocado. Jenna got the Crossroads which also looked delectable. Next time I might go for the Dirty Sanchez or (*gasp*) The Republican.


























#WineNot:
So at ACL they sell wine. In water bottles. Cups optional. We took much advantage.


Trader Joes:
We took Saturday off of the festival to recoup (from the wine...?) and made a run to the new Trader Joe's on Bee Cave's Road in Austin. It was just as great as I remember. We loaded up goodies for a cheese plate that we had for lunch. Dried apricots, dark chocolate covered cranberries, green grapes, 3 kinds of Spanish cheese plus some brie, some sausage and a nice loaf of ciabatta. Plus a caprese salad on the side. It definitely kept us full for most of the day until...
















Mandolas:
Drinks and appetizers at Mandola's! This place is so awesome! Part Italian deli, part Italian bakery, part Italian restaurant. We had the Arancini, or, fried risotto balls and a nice glass of Chianti on the porch.


Sushi @ Ryu of Japan:
We have basically no good sushi available where I live, so I'm always excited to get some. This little hole-in-the wall sushi place was perfect. The prices were good and there was a nice variety of options and specials. I even ate eel! which always freaks me out because...eel! I think we got the Dragon Lasa Roll and maybe the Tiger Roll? I can't completely remember...but it was delicious all the same.


Chicken Nachos:
We had a choice to make Sunday morning when we were getting ready to eat at 10:30 am: bacon & eggs or chicken nachos? We were in Texas so I chose nachos! Made with Trader Joe's queso, some black beans, tomatoes and chicken it was the breakfast of Texan champions!




Salt Lick BBQ Breakfast Taco:
I know The Salt Lick BBQ is a big deal in Austin (I think it was on Man vs Food?) and they had a booth at ACL...but I didn't get the chance to eat any. But I did grab two breakfast tacos at the airport and they were awesome. So much bacon...plus, that sauce they give you? It was divine. I didn't need two...but I regret nothing.



























It was a great weekend of eating, drinking and music. Hopefully I'll be back next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment